Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Collecting In: Sunnyvale, Texas (Dallas County)

Temperature:          96° F
Sky Cover:             Partly Cloudy
Wind:                     North at 6mph
Humidity:              30%
Pressure:                30.0 in


On my first attempt to collect insects, I went to the nearby pond at the Homestead Community in Sunnyvale, Texas.  I caught three or four beetles when I stepped in the mud at the edge of the water.  I'll need to take a look at them under the Leica Dissecting Scope in order to identify them.  Flying insects are abundant here - I attempted to catch a few, but my net was both too wet and too short.(Note to self: bring two next time, and make sure that one of them has a long reach!) 

Dredged a little with the net, as well as with the bucket I brought - I'll take a look at my catch when I get home.


No comments:

Post a Comment